Province of Batangas
Get Directions →
The Immaculate Conception Parish Church traces its origin from the church built out of light materials by the Franciscan Friars in 1579. The present stone church began to be constructed in 1749 under the supervision of the Jesuit Fathers and was completed in 1759. In 1876, the administration of the parish was transferred to the Secular clergy of Filipinos. It is now listed as a National Cultural Treasure.
According to the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, ”It must be noted that by the 19th century, the seculars were already largely indio priests, hence, Balayan is one of a few examples of churches built under direction of the indio clergy. The interior has not changed much since the 1870s when a print showing the church interior was made, despite several superficial additions.” – wowbatangas.com