Paseo del Mar, Zamboanga City
Province of Zamboanga
Get Directions →
Fr. Melchor de Vera, a Jesuit missionary engineer who accompanied Captain Juan de Chaves on April 6, 1635 with 1,000 Visayans and 300 Spaniards as they landed in Zamboanga, started the construction of Fort Pilar on June 23, 1635. Fort Pilar, Father De Vera’s masterpiece, was abandoned in 1663, rebuilt in 1718, and was for centuries a defense against Muslim, Dutch, Portuguese and British attacks. It was in disrepair after World War II until it was restored by the National Museum.
Presidential Decree 260 declared Fort Pilar as a National Cultural Treasure on August 1,1973. – nationalmuseum.org.ph