Province of Iloilo
Get Directions →
The first reference to Guimbal by such name in Spanish records appeared in Father Coco’s appendix to Medina’s “The History of the Agustinian Order in the Philippines” Where it referred to the establishment of a convento in Guimbal, Iloilo in 1590.
A closer fact compared to some other writings showed that the name of the municipality was derived from a musical instrument called guimbal. The Spaniards discovered the settlers using the instrument to warn the people of the coming of the raiding Moro pirates who used to loot the town and capture the natives to be sold as slaves in Mindanao. To show gratitude to the instrument, with high spirit and pride as the unconquered people, the inhabitants named their settlement Guimbal.
Record show that Guimbal was established by the as a pueblo civil in 1703, and immediately selected Bernardo Angan as its first leader. – wikipedia.org
One of the oldest and most ornate Spanish Colonial churches in Iloilo, the San Nicholas of Tolentino Church took three decades to build: from 1735 to 1765. The walls are made of a yellow stone called “igang”.
Numerous changes have taken place throughout its rich and colorful history. In 1868, for instance, the entrance of Guimbal was transferred from the riverside to the plaza side to make it more difficult for Muslim raiders to break in the modified baroque church.
Doubling as a fortress, the church’s walls, which are two meters thick and made from stones quarried from both Iloilo and Guimaras, have survived multiple coastal attacks, fires, earthquakes, and even wars. – aboutph.com