Palo Metropolitan Cathedral (Leyte)

Home  /  Churches  /  Current Page
×Details

Municipality of Palo
Province of Leyte
Get Directions →

Click image below to view 360VR

11.159611°N 124.991185°E

The Palo Cathedral also known as Our Lord’s Transfiguration Cathedral in Palo, Leyte was constructed in 1596 under the direction of the Jesuits who founded Palo, used for sometime as their residence. Taken over by the Augustinians, 1768; by the Franciscans, 1843. Repaired by Fr. Agustin de Consuegra, who built the two towers, 1850; by Fr. Pantaleon dela Fuente, who installed a clock on the facade, 1896. Proclaimed a cathedral 25 March 1938. Msgr. Manuel Cascariñas, first bishop. Used as hospital, October 1944 to March 1945, by American Liberation Forces. It was renovated into a Neo-Gothic design and was elevated to an archdiocese in 1987. An impressive tabernacle held by Renaissance-styled gilded angels is added to the altarpiece. – from wikipilipinas.org

The cathedral was badly damaged by super-typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) on November 8, 2013. All images taken on November 21, 2013

+Gallery
  • palo_feature
+Related
+Meta

Posted: April 9, 2014

Author: pamana360

Category: Churches

Tags: , , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply


Hit Counter provided by brochure holders