E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue
Get Directions →
14.616521°N 121.012597°E Taken Oct. 25, 2015
Quezon Institute is a hospital that specializes in the care and treatment of patients with Tuberculosis. It was founded in 1938 and designed by National Artist for architecture Juan Nakpil.
The Second World War abruptly curtailed further activities of the Society. Japanese Army troops occupied the Quezon Institute and ordered the transfer of its medical staff and all patients to the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Intramuros, Manila. The Quezon Institute and the Society’s central office in Manila was stripped bare of all equipment, furniture and records by looters.
After the government reestablishment in 1945, President Sergio Osmena pressed for a legislative appropriation of P1 million to re-activate anti-TB work, P800,000 of which was allotted as aid to the Society. The US Army returned together with army equipment and supplies for the Society, and the Quezon Institute was reopened. In 1957, Pres. Ramon Magsaysay increased the allotment of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes to the Society to P1 million annually.
The Society was subsequently incorporated as PTSI on February 29, 1960 and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 11, 1960, with the incumbent President Zeneida Quezon Avancena as one of the incorporators.
From: Philippine Tuberculosis Society Inc. Facebook page