Bendijo Street, Maribojoc
Province of Bohol
Get Directions →
The parish of Maribojoc, Bohol was founded in 1768, and construction of a church started 1798 and lasted 18 years. The Santa Cruz Parish Church (Church of the Holy Cross) is located in the poblacion of Maribojoc 14 km (8.7 mi) from the Tagbilaran. The place can be reached by bus of jeepney.
Maribojoc began as a Jesuit mission in the 18th century. The Jesuits built a temporary church, which the Recollects replaced with the present structure by 1886.
Unlike other churches, the convent of Maribojoc is located behind the church rather than at its side. This gives the convent an unobstructed view of the sea, especially from the balcony that runs the length of the structure. It is approached through the sacristy and is a continuation of the convent. Above the sacristy is a room which has been converted to the Maribojoc museum.
The church had a cruciform ground plan. Its façade was plain, decorated by thin pilasters and niches with images of saints. The interior had three Neogothic altars. The traceries and finials of gilded hardwood are delicately carved. The main altar has an image of the Blessed Trinity and bas-reliefs of the life of Mary Magdalene. The church ceiling is made of metal and painted with catechetical and liturgical motifs
The 1886 Maribojoc Church crumbled to the ground entirely during the 2013 Bohol earthquake. – wikipedia.org