Municipality of Cortes, Bohol
Get Directions →
Known by the ancient name Malabago, Cortes was already being served by priests from Maribojoc. Established as an independent parish in 1793 or 94, it was renamed Paminguitan. The town was established later, probably in 1862. The town was renamed after the Spanish conquistador, Hernan Cortes. The parish was dedicated to the Santo Niño (Holy Child). Although the Recollects who served the parish from its inception until 1898 had begun to build a church in 1880, the bell tower’s upper levels were not completed until the 20th century. The thinner upper two levels made with reinforced concrete are narrower in contrast to the thicker stone bottom level.
Perched on the slope of a low hill, the town of Cortes gives its church a dramatic setting. The building is of cut coral stones. Its ground floor plan is cruciform that has an octagonal tower at the crossing. Floral carving frame the doorway, and a light pink plaster is still evident on some parts of the façade suggesting it was more colorful in the past. The interior is dominated by the painted ceiling done by Ray Francia. The main retable has twisted Solomonic columns and profusely carved flanges in the Baroque idiom, a contrast to the otherwise revivalist line of the church. Like most Bohol churches, the Cortes church has a portico in front of an older façade. – wikipedia.org
The church (a declared National Cultural Treasure) was likewise extensively damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that stuck Bohol on October 15, 2013.