Santa Fe corner Caridad Streets
Municipality of Siquijor, Siquijor
Get Directions →
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi was built in 1774 with stone and has the usual crucible form of the old Spanish churches. The old belfry of rubble stones stands independently farther from the church. It is found in the middle of the plaza, suggesting that it maintained a double purpose a watch tower against Moro invaders. Siquijor town was established as the provincial capital by virtue of Proclamation No. 1075. As the capital, it is the seat of the provincial government which maintains and oversees the political administration of the whole island, ensuring for itself the bulk of the development of the island’s infrastructures and facilities. However, it has managed to maintain that genteel and laid back atmosphere that pervades the peaceful and serene island of Siquijor. Like most of towns in the island, it is endowed with the beauty of beckoning beaches, natural inland parks, forests and caves.
Dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, Siquijor was created a parish independent of Dumaguete in 1781 (other sources say 1780, but this is the year when approval was given). It was the lone parish in the island until other parishes were created out of it. Its church (said to have been built in 1774) was made of stone, cruciform and had a nipa roof. It had generous proportions. Being 198 x 42 feet and 24 feet in height. The adjoining convento was likewise made of stone rubble.
Heritage site: The bell tower of Siquijor stands independently of the church in the middle of the plaza. This arrangements suggests that the tower also served as a defensive structure—a watchtower to warn the people of approaching danger. From: http://heritageconservation.wordpress.com/category/siquijor/