Province of Iloilo
Get Directions →
St. John of Sahagun Church and the convent were constructed by Fr. Fernando Martin in 1867. At the back of its rectory was a Jesuit school for boys.
The church was made of reddish coral and limestone. Its facade was done in Spanish Churrisque style. The pilasters resemble Mexican ‘estipites’. They taper down to flank the arched main portal. A cherub with bent wings is perched as a keystone above the main arch. Cherubs adorn the other arches. The Augustinian emblem of a heart, arrow, and the episcopal coat of arms occupies the cornice’s center and serves to mark the division between the first and second levels. The niches are intricately carved. One on the second storey houses a statue of the town’s patron, San Nicolas de Tolentino, flanked by a pair of angels. Right above it is a small statue of the Santo Niño. Flowers in relief rest on the base of the pediment. – wikipilipinas.org