St. John the Baptist (Badoc)

Home  /  Churches  /  Current Page
×Details

Badoc
Province of Ilocos Norte
Get Directions →

17.927797°°N 120.474940°E

Located at Badoc, Ilocos Norte, this church was formerly called the Sinait Chapel in 1591, became a parochial in 1714. The church is made of brick and stone and was artistically built under the administration of Rev. P. Valentin Beovide. The famous Filipino painter Juan Luna was baptized in this church on October 27, 1857. – wikipilipinas.org

Badoc houses the Sanctuary of the Miraculous Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the La Virgen Milagrosa. History traces the life-sized statue to Nagasaki, Japan. It was sent floating in the sea by missionaries operating in secret in Japan (for fear of persecution during the Tokugawa Regime), along with the Miraculous Statue of the Black Nazarene (Sinait’s Santo Cristo Milagroso). It was first found by local fishermen in the shores of Barangay Dadalaquiten, on the boundary between Sinait and Badoc, in the year 1620. Only fishermen from Sinait were able to move the Statue of the Black Nazarene. The fishermen from Badoc, unable to move the Black Nazarene, were able to move the La Virgen Milagrosa that came with it–which was, in turn, unable to be moved by the fishermen from Sinait. They took the statues to their respective towns, hence becoming their patron saints. Today The La Virgen Milagrosa is enshrined at the Badoc Church. – wikipedia.org

+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: September 21, 2012

Author: pamana360

Category: Churches

Tags: , , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply


Hit Counter provided by brochure holders