Tawid Balanagy Road
Municipality of Anda, Bohol
Get Directions →
Anda is located in a peninsula that juts southeast to the Bohol Sea. In this peninsula, prehistoric sites have been discovered, with one intriguing site yielded countless carefully arranged jawbones of pigs. It was probably a ritual site, considered by the National Museum of the Philippines as an important archaeological site. The town was formerly called Quinale. It was renamed Anda in honor of Simón de Anda y Salazar who resisted the British occupation of Manila between 1762–64, becoming governor general in 1769. The town was created in 1876 and the parish, in 1885. The Recollects were in charge of Anda until 1898, and by the special request of the parishioners, returned in 1902 until finally leaving in 1937. The town was burnt by the Americans who are after the revolutionaries during the Filipino-American War, but the church was spared because of the pleas by the parish priest.
The Church of the Holy Infant of Anda faces the beach with a wide-open field in between. An older tabique church, probably the same one reported by Redondo (1886, 183) is said to have stood slightly across the convent (convento). The change in colonial government in 1898 stopped the collection of material for a new church that was began as early as 1886. It was not until 1926 when the church was completed under the direction of Fr. Carlos Ortuoste. The church has a cruciform floor plan with a plain and austere façade enlivened by doors and windows. The interior, however, is a pleasant surprise with the colorful frescoed ceiling by Cebuano painter Ray Francia, the retable with Greco-Roman motif, and the Art Deco confessionals. The adjoining convent was started in the 1880s and completed a decade later. – wikipedia.org